By Sarah Peterson, Registered Dietitian
Whether your Pop is manning the grill or just enjoying a cold beverage at the end of the day, it’s time to think outside the bottle and choose the best pop for your Pop with help from Zevia! Zevia is a great way for the whole family to rethink their drink, cut back on added sugar and extra calories all while enjoying the flavors they crave. Wondering what all the hype is about and if you should make the switch?
We have all heard of added sugars and know we should be trying to cut back – but it’s easier said than done! The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that consumers aim to limit added sugars to less than 10% of their total daily calories. However, we know that currently added sugars account for almost 270 calories, which is greater than 13% of total daily calories in the U.S. population. Sugar-sweetened beverages make up the highest percentage of where added sugars come from in the typical American diet. One easy way to cut back is by swapping your favorite carbonated beverage with Zevia soda! It’s crafted with simple, plant-based ingredients and contains zero sugar and calories, helping your Pop and the whole family maintain their health goals.
Perhaps your Pop is not a pop drinker but instead prefers tea. Tea and coffee make up 11% of where added sugars come from in our diet. Switching to Zevia Organic Tea can help reduce added sugar while still enjoying a variety of flavors of soothing black, green and Earl Grey tea!
Zevia isn’t just for drinking – did you know you can incorporate it into your Pop’s favorite recipes? Give this recipe for Slow Cooker Café Rio Sweet Pork a try and enjoy it with the whole family this Father’s Day!
Slow Cooker Café Rio Sweet Pork
All you need:
- 1½ lbs pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into quarters
- 1 (12-oz) can Zevia Zero Calorie Cola Soda, divided
- ½ cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (4-oz) can green chilies
- 1 (10-oz) can red enchilada sauce
All you do:
- Quarter pork and place in a gallon-size freezer bag with ½ can of Zevia, ¼ cup brown sugar and garlic.
- Add remaining ½ can of Zevia, ¼ cup brown sugar, green chilies and enchilada sauce to a blender. Blend until smooth and add mixture to a separate gallon-size freezer bag.
- Optional: Freeze pork and sauce until ready to cook or up to three months. Or, prepare immediately.
- Complete step 4 if starting from frozen ingredients. Thaw ingredients in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Add bag of pork into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours. Remove the lid. Discard the liquid. Shred the meat and return it back into the slow cooker.
- Add bag of sauce to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for another 2 hours.
- Use tongs to serve the pork on top of salads, rice, burritos, tacos, quesadillas etc.
Tip: A great way to shred meat is using a hand mixer.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.