Bringing a new life into the world is an incredibly exciting and life-altering experience, one that should have careful planning and consideration. Before you take the plunge into motherhood, consider these factors to ensure a healthy and smooth pregnancy.
- Prioritize Your Health with Daily Supplements: One of the first steps in preparing for pregnancy is taking a daily vitamin containing essential nutrients such as folic acid, calcium, and iron. Folic acid plays a crucial role in preventing defects to the spin and brain in the baby, while calcium supports the development of both the mother’s and baby’s bones. Iron, an important component of blood, helps prevent anemia.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight and Exercise Routine: Ensuring that you are in optimal health before pregnancy is paramount. Watching your weight and engaging in regular exercise not only benefits your overall well-being but also makes the process of pregnancy, labor, and delivery easier.
- Prioritize Mental Health: Mental health is an integral aspect of well-being. Increased stress or mental distress can have adverse effects on both the mother and the baby. Prioritize mental health by practicing stress-reducing activities and seeking support when needed.
- Kick Bad Habits Before Conception: Pre-conception is an opportune time to reassess and eliminate harmful habits, such as smoking or drug use. Limiting alcohol intake is also advisable, as these substances can negatively impact pregnancy. It’s crucial to remember that these habits are not recommended during pregnancy.
- Family History and Birth Defects: Have an open conversation with your family about any birth defects that might run in your family. Understanding potential genetic factors can help you make informed decisions and seek appropriate medical advice.
- Evaluate Financial Preparedness: Expanding your family is a major decision that extends beyond emotional readiness. Assess your financial situation, ensuring that you have health insurance and maternity leave coverage for the postpartum period. Adequate financial planning is essential for a stress-free pregnancy journey.
- Consult with Healthcare Professionals: Schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider or a specialized women’s health professional, such as a Nurse Midwife, to discuss your pregnancy plans. Come prepared with a list of questions and concerns, including information about chronic medical conditions, current medications, and any prior pregnancy outcomes.
Embarking on the journey to parenthood is a decision that requires thoughtful consideration and planning. By addressing these considerations before becoming pregnant, you can set the stage for a healthier and more enjoyable pregnancy. LCHC Medical Clinic is proud to have a dedicated Women’s Health Provider, Sharon Squibb, to guide you through your pregnancy journey. With more than 28 years of experience, Sharon can walk you through family planning, prenatal and postnatal care, breastfeeding, and more.
Interested in getting quality, local prenatal care? Check out our Share Care Prenatal & Postnatal Care service. To schedule an appointment with Sharon, contact LCHC Medical Clinic at (641) 7748103 or request an appointment online.