It’s tailgate time! Get your game-day buzz on with a winning lineup of party food favs. Whether you’re cheering on your favorite team from the parking lot or the comfort of home, dietitians have you covered with dynamite, crowd-pleasing foods that also pack a nutritious punch.
But timeout … tailgate like a dietitian? Hear us out! You can still feed your face during football season without feeling guilty and having a personal foul to your waistline. How so? Well, let’s huddle up! When planning your tailgate menu, keep MyPlate in mind for a balanced, tailGREAT spread. MyPlate includes all food groups along with hydrating beverages. And no tailgate spread is complete without chips and dip – that’s why I opt for Siete’s tortillas and tortilla chips! They are great for a variety of dietary needs and preferences (like grain free and gluten-free). When Siete is at the table (or tailgate), more people can get a taste of Mexican-American favorites.
Win-Win! Top Tricks for Healthier Tailgate Eats
- Go Grain Free: Be all-inclusive at your next tailgate and look for options that can accommodate those with a variety of dietary needs but still contain valuable fiber to support your digestive system and keep you full longer, like Siete Grain Free Sea Salt Tortilla Chips.
- Power Performance with Protein: Many Americans get the right amount of protein needed from meat, poultry and eggs, but do not meet the recommendations for seafood or nuts, seeds and soy products. Meeting this can help increase the amount of important nutrients your body needs, like unsaturated fats, dietary fiber and vitamin D. It also helps limit the amount of sodium and saturated fats from you get from processed meat and poultry. Adequate protein can also help in weight loss by boosting energy and helping you feel full longer.
- The Real MVP – Fruits and Vegetables: When it comes to foods that won’t derail your health goals, fruits and vegetables will help anyone not fumble the ball. Providing additional antioxidants for immune support and fiber for long-lasting energy, fruits and vegetables can help you stay feeling full and satisfied longer. Tastes like victory!
- Dip Back into Game Day with Dairy: Don’t forget to include Greek yogurt-based dips, cheese sticks and even chocolate milk on your tailgate menu. Dairy products are the main source of calcium in many American diets, which is crucial for building strong bones and teeth as well as maintaining bone strength as we get older.
- Hut, Hut, Hike and Hydrate: Staying hydrated is also crucial when tailgating. Water is one thing every tailgate needs. Dehydration can lead to headaches, dizziness and irritability (regardless if your team is winning). Hydrate fast with a boost of flavor. Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier Sugar-Free is science-backed to provide more efficient hydration than water alone. Liquid I.V. Sugar-Free contains zero sugar and zero artificial sweeteners. With three times the electrolytes of the leading sports drink, don’t forget to include these powerful, powdered hydration packets.
Touchdown! There you have it! Create the perfect game-day tailgate menu that’s fun, flavorful and extra nutritious. And then you might as well start calling yourself the MVP of Healthy Eats.
All you need:
- 4-6 (1-oz) bags Siete Grain Free Sea Salt Tortilla Chips
- 1 lb ground protein of your choice (beef, turkey, chicken, tofu crumbles or vegan grounds)
- 1 pkg Siete Mild Taco Seasoning
- 1 can Siete Vegan Charro Beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, or non-dairy cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- ½ cup Mexican crema, sour cream, or non-dairy cashew cream
- Siete Jalapeño Botana Sauce, as needed
All do you:
- Turn a bag of Siete Grain Free Sea Salt Tortilla Chips on their side and cut open the side of the bag, turning the bag into a bowl to hold the contents of the walking taco.
- Cook the ground protein of your choice, adding a packet of Siete Mild Taco Seasoning and ½ cup of water to season the cooked grounds. Allow the water to soak into the grounds and evaporate. Set the ground protein aside.
- Heat the Siete Vegan Charro beans until warmed through.
- To start building your walking tacos, add beans, ground protein, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, crema, and Siete Jalapeño Botana Sauce to finish it off!
Recipe adapted from: https://sietefoods.com/blogs/recipes/walking-tacos-1
This information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.