Since health education is not readily available in rural, Southern Iowa, and certainly not without cost, LCHC's commitment to the health and well-being of its community prompted us to begin delivering health information to the people who need it the most. From this commitment, Healthy University was born. A free, comprehensive health education series of classes which last eight months of the year (concurrent with the school year), covers topics such as nutritional needs, cooking light, exercise, advance directives, stress management, and more. Healthy University is for all members of our community who wish to learn more about health and wellness.
Schedule for 2012/2013 Year
- Just for Us: Women and Girls' Health Conference. Saturday, September 8 from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Carpenter's Hall in Chariton.
- The Amazing Race: Family Style. Saturday, September 29 from 10-11 am, Race begins at Red Haw State Park.
- Blood Donation Services: Featuring Diana Allman from Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center. Learn about the services offered as well as the critical need for blood donors. Tuesday, October 23 from 6-7 pm, LCHC Education Room.
- Self-Defense Class: Featuring Jacallyn Gunzenhauser, Secondary Black Belt at Humeston ATA. Learn hand to hand skills that will help you defend yourself in threatening, close-up situations. Basic releases will be taught to give you the ability to protect yourself if someone has a hold of you. Saturday, November 10 from 10-11 am, LCHC Education Room. Click here to print the waiver for this class (under 18 requires a parent/guardian signature).
- Battle of the Bulge: It's Healthy Weight Day, and for those who made their New Year's resolution to lose weight and/or improve their health in 2013, learn strategies and exercises to jump start the journey to a healthier body. Tuesday, January 15 from 4:30-5:30 pm, LCHC Education Room. Click here to print the waiver for this class (under 18 requires a parent/guardian signature)
- The "C" Word: Featuring Cathy Strueker with the American Cancer Society. Learn about ways to help fight cancer through Daffodil Days and Relay 4 Life, as well as the support, benefits, and resources the American Cancer Society provides to individuals and families who have received a diagnosis of cancer. Tuesday, March 5 from 4:30-5:30 pm, LCHC Education Room. Refreshments will be provided.
- Online Patient Portal Demonstration & Training: Featuring LCHC Medical Clinic provider, Allison Krutsinger, P.A.-C. Allison will demonstrate how the new patient portal works to allow patients to view outpatient lab and radiology reports, ask questions, pay bills, fill out registration forms, request medical records, and request appointments at the clinic. Thursday, March 21 from 5-6 pm, LCHC Education Room. Refreshments will be provided.
- Advance Directives Seminar & Dinner: Keep your loved ones from needing to make difficult health decisions in your stead by making your wishes known prior to an emergency or life-threatening illness.n honor of Healthcare Decisions Day, LCHC is partnering with HCI Services of Central Iowa to provide important information regarding Advance Directives and Living Wills. An attorney and notary will be present as well to help answer any questions and assist with completing yours. It's never to early to plan. Tuesday, April 16 from 5-6 pm, Carpenter's Hall in Chariton. Dinner provided, space is limited. To RSVP, please call 774.3222. We will be drawing prizes from the names of all who participated in Healthy University throughout the 2012/2013 season. Must be present to win!
E-mail us if you would like to request a certain health and wellness topic to be presented at Healthy University, or to be added to our Healthy University mailing list.
With support from local businesses, LCHC has been able to continue providing Healthy University, tuition free, to our community for over five years. If you are an individual or business that wishes to partner with LCHC and Healthy University, please contact Jena Danner, Marketing & PR Director.